Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Carlos67
Carlos67

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:20am

Post Subject: Ballast

Hi all bought a 52ft NB 2 yrs ago, had it took out of water & overplated bottom & sides, more or less completed refit so much of weight is on board, the NB sits nice in the water only issue being the back end is lower in the water, when the plating was done they plated over three out of the six gas locker holes, if I was to drill out these holes they would be very close to waterline & when sailing think they would fill with water, any suggestions is it safe to remove some ballast from rear end or would it be better to add ballast to front end, thanks in advance for any help. Carl

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:11am

I very much doubt removing all the ballast would make the boat unsafe. There are three things for you to think about. The draft, the depth the uxter (swim) plate is submerged, and the boat's pivot point. The fore - aft trim of the boat alters its pivot point but within reason any alternation can be compensated for by the steerer. The uxter plate should be submerged by a minimum of about 1". The overplating will have submerged it more so there will be no issue about drawing air into the prop (ventilation). However the exhaust may now be a bit close to the waterline. That leaves the new draft. If yours is a modern boat with something like a 20" stern post then another few inches of draft is unlikely to make much difference but if the boat has a 2'6" or 3' draft it may prevent you cruising certain canals. If you can get at it I would remove ballast from the rear end, better still remove some along the full length of the boat so it does not alter the pivot point. TB

Carlos67
Carlos67

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:27am

Thank you Tony its a 80s boat 52ft cruiser stern, I'd say without measuring the uxter is about 5in in water, exhaust well clear of waterline, I will take a look at other points you made later when at marina, only other thing is Id like to trace the boats history is there any way of doing this, I no it was a ex hire boat possibly black prince I've emailed them but no reply as yet. Thanks Carl Bowden

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:01am

Much depends upon if it still has the original BW/CaRT registration number, is still in its original livery or has its original name. Sometimes looking at the bottom of draws, backs of cupboards and under bed boards can show marks or labels that give more information. You might also find odd bits of paperwork that have slipped behind furniture etc. This forum is not good at finding a boat's history, probably because its users tend to be newer boaters. If you have any original data asking on Canalworld.net might get you more information.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.33 seconds.