Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
TinaWales
TinaWales

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 3:07pm

Post Subject: Moorings

Hi I am looking for a permanent mooring on the Monmouthshire & Brecon or Avon & Kennet, can anyone advise on best way of finding one as I am struggling. Many thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 4:05pm

You do not say if you want a leisure mooring that may have limitations on how many nights you can stay on the boat or an official live-a-board mooring. If the latter then you are faced with a long and hard task with such a specific area. I assume that by "Avon & Kennet" you mean the River Avon and maybe the extreme west of the K&A canal. This area is very congested with both official and unofficial long term online moorers and this has put pressure on the moorings in that area so again it may be very hard to find one of any sort. If you want a leisure mooring, be it one that might do a Nelson re living aboard then first look here: https://www.crtmoorings.com/auctions/search.php? type=all for CRT online moorings. Then buy the Nicholsons Guide to the Southern Waterways (Gude 7). This will list the marinas on the K&A and Avon while Book 4 covers the Mon & Brec with book 2 covering the Gloucester & Sharpness canal. Then its is a case of phoning around the marinas and boat yards. It is possible that the CRT website can also be persuaded to provide similar information canal by canal. After that it is "on your bike" to visit the areas to talk to people, look for possible sites and make personal contact. I get the impression that you have chosen just about the worst area apart from London in which to look. No boatyards on the Mon & Brec list moorings as a service. You could also look in the back of the magazine were marinas advertise and there is a Boatyard Services Directory, but that is not a full list. You might have more luck if your area can be extended to around Devizes or even further east or up into the Midlands. For instance I am sure there are marina vacancies in the Braunston/Napton area.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:00pm

I have just had a thought. Are you aware that the Mon & Brec is not connected to the main system or any navigable river so you will need two cranes and a truck to get your boat there from the main canal/river system.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.34 seconds.