Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
BoatNoob
BoatNoob

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 9:29am

Post Subject: BUYING MY FIRST BOAT, PLEASE ADVISE ME

Hi experts :) I have finally managed to save up the necessary funds to buy myself a narrowboat and have even found what I believe to be the perfect boat for a first time boater. The only thing is that I am very aware that I lack knowledge and could easily be taken for a ride. So I ask you, what are the things I should know and do before going through with the purchase? Many thanks.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 10:41am

You seem to have grasped the most important thing and that is there is an awful lot of rubbish out there. The best advice I can give is to insist on commissioning a survey and make sure any deposit that is demanded is receipted in writing with the words "subject to survey". On no account accept a recent survey and do not use a surveyor recommend by the vendor, broker, or whoever is selling the boat. Look in the back of the magazine and phone a few in the area the boat is in. The cost may be anything up to (say) £1500 because the boat will have to come out of the water. Get quotes for that as well as the survey unless the surveyor offers an "all in one" price. That £1500 is cheap when compared with spending (say) £14000 on a boat and then having it sink and it costing a similar amount to re-plate. As you give me no idea about the cost, location, or seller I can not pass comment on the boat from the on-line sales blurb. If you are buying from an on-line source be very, very careful. There are a lot of scams in the wild that involve stealing real on-line details and then offering the boat at a knock down price. Ebay and Paypal are often implicated by the supposed vendor. In fact I would say if either company is mentioned just walk away. When you go to view the boat insist that you will start the engine and that the engine must be stone cold when you do. Diesels should start within a few seconds after any period of glowplug use. If it keeps cranking away with white smoke form the exhaust the engine is probably worn out. Make sure the oil pressure is above 40psi at all times when the engine is hot ad driving the boat and close to 20 psi when hot and idling. If you can try to run flat out for at least 15 minutes on a river or such like. This will test the cooling system and make sure it is not likely to overheat. If you have a trusted friend who knows about boats get them to come to the viewing with you. This will not negate the need for a survey but will may save you wasting money surveying a rubbish boat. If you think that you have a bargain and would not like to publish it on this open forum please email me a link to the on-line details and I will give my opinion. Send to Tony@tb-training.co.uk.

BoatNoob
BoatNoob

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 11:39am

Great tips Tony, I'll be sure to use these. I have sent you an email as I would prefer not to post the details online. As mentioned on the email and as it might benefit other boat noobs :), I might as well ask you here: "One more thing that is worrying me, is the title. What kind of documents should I request upon purchasing the boat?" Thanks again

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:04pm

Did you put the hyphen in the TB-training email address because I have not received it yet. If you send to the magazine it may take a day or so to reach me. Did you also post on the Canal World Forum because if so the advice given there, especially about CCing, is very good. There are NO formal documents of ownership so there is no documentary way of ensuring that you get a good title to the boat. I would ask for bills for maintenance work, mooring, and licensing running back a few years and make sure they are in the name of the vendor. Also get them to give you a signed receipt that clearly states that they they are the owners, have full rights to sell the boat and that it is free of encumbrances. If you then find they did not have the right to sell you have the correct documents to all you to peruse them through the courts. Along with that it may be an idea to ask for proof of address that is similar to that required by the banks etc. otherwise you would have no hope of tracing them if things went wrong. If they appear uneasy with that it might indicate that they are trying to put one over you.

BoatNoob
BoatNoob

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:34pm

I copy and pasted your email address from a gmail account: Tony@tb-training.co.uk

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jul 27, 2015 12:45pm

OK. I think Gmail might batch up emails before sending them on. I am now going off line for a while so will check later in the day.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.