Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Ariadne
Ariadne

Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:03pm

Post Subject: Batteries

I have 3 deep cycle flodded batteries for domestic use. Topping up the cells with distilled water is a real pain as the batteries are tucked up under the semi trad deck. Does anyone know of a gadget that you can pop into a cell and add water to the correct level by touch/sound without being able to see the level? I know Trojan do an automatic watering system but it is too expensive.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:44am

Post Subject: Batteries

The cheapest is an automatic top up bottle or maybe they still make tops to fit an ordinary bottle. Have a look at http://www.thetoolboxshop.com/0-149-50-1l-automa tic-battery-filler-bottle-3226.html but I thing you may have problems getting the bottle into the confined space. Googling "Battery top up" also brings up http://www.forklift-batteries.co.uk/forklift-bat tery-filling-systems but I have no idea of cost or if they have any products suitable for our typical domestic batteries. If this means the back deck of the boat is all steel I would be thinking about cutting the section above the batteries but inside the side locker out and replacing with Hexagrip board so you get better access. If you have no side lockers it might be an idea to just think about moving the batteries to sit on deck and build a side locker around them. Not ideal but OK for a narrowboat. I just wish that boat builders would follow the BMEA codes of practice and fit batteries in a readily accessible position.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.52 seconds.