Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
theoldgoat
theoldgoat

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 3:46pm

Post Subject: Single Handed Cruising -Swing bridges

Could anybody please provide advice on how to negotiate swing bridges when running single handed

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:54pm

Post Subject: Single Handed Cruising -Swing bridges

This is how I would do it but others have different ideas. I think swing bridges will be easy, its lift bridges I find baffling. Have a long bow line and an even longer stern or centre line. Stop as close to the bridge as possible taking at least the bow line with you across the bridge. If you are not taking the other line have it laid along the roof and coiled at the front of the boat. Open the bridge and pull the boat towards you, this will swing the bows across the canal. Swap your efforts to the stern or centre line whilst fending the bow off the bridge. Then the boat is within the bridge hole pull it hard enough to build up a little speed to carry it through the hole. Allow the boat to run until you can close the bridge. Go back across the bridge and pull the boat towards you using the stern or centre line. Now over to the readers. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.