Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
TrevorW1
TrevorW1

Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:11pm

Post Subject: Solar charging

Hi, We have the usual set-up for electrics on our boat i.e. a 240v shoreline in the marina and batteries when out. The 240 just powers a couple of sockets, the washing machine, immersion heater and the battery charger. We have 4X110a domestic batteries and 1X starter battery for when we're out and about plus a 1600W inverter, not for the washing machine or immersion I might add but more for charging bits of technology. Our battery charger is playing up and will need to be replaced and we are also going to fit solar panels. My question is would it be possible (and /or advisable) to remove the 240v battery charger from the equation all together and just rely on solar panels to keep the batteries up to speed? Just to complicate matters we are live-aboards. Any thoughts would be welcome.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:38am

That rather depends upon how much solar capacity you install and how much and of what type of electrical you will use when out cruising. OH, and how many hours a day you charge from the engine when away from a shoreline. As livaboards you will need a very large solar array to keep the batteries charged in the winter, especially if you do away with the mains battery charger. If this is a narrowboat it is possible there might not be enough clear roof area for enough. Then what will happen when we get months of dull winter weather like we did a few years ago. My preference would be to keep the ability to charge the batteries from the mains as well as adding solar. In that way when a cell or cells starts to fail you can keep your 12V supply running or a short time while you source new batteries. You will only need a modest charger if you install a reasonable sized solar array because it can run 24/7 when you are on the shoreline.

TrevorW1
TrevorW1

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:13pm

Thanks Tony. I'll start with the new charger and go solar later.

TrevorW1
TrevorW1

Posted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:13pm

Thanks Tony. I'll start with the new charger and go solar later.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.58 seconds.