Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
dutton
dutton

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:21am

Post Subject: sea panther diesel

hi can I fit a calorifier to a sea panther diesel if so where do I fit the take off and return to the engine

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 7:28am

I think this is the diesel conversion of a small Ford 4 cylinder push rod engine. It is old enough to potentially be direct raw water cooled. You also give no indication of what type of boat it is in so there are too many possible engine cooling systems for me to give you a sensible answer. The flippant one is that the take off is where the heater take off would have been in a car and the return is Td into the feed hose on the engine water pump but you may not have an engine water pump. The best idea would be to email me some photos of the engine and general engine area to Tony@TB-Training.co.uk so I can see what type of cooling system you have and also see where the take off point is located.

dutton
dutton

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:37pm

Hi the boat is a 1972 Trentcraft by Davidson Bros it is a 1600 x flow Cortina engine converted to diesel raw water cooled via a heat exchanger cheers Darren

sea panther diesel
dutton
dutton

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 8:40pm

26foot

sea panther diesel
Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:26pm

So now we have established that it is indirect raw water cooled. If you want an answer I need a photo or photos emailed as requested - NOT a silly little postage stamp ting the Forum sees fit to display. The Sea Panther was never a very popular engine so I do not know it is great detail, this is why I need a/ some clear photo(s_) so I can hopefully identify the take off point. As it is indirect cooled I can tell you that you can fit a calorifier and the return goes is Td into the hose that links the heat exchanger to the engine water pump There may be another option but I will need a suitable photo to be sure. The engine water pump is the normal car water pump, not the brass raw water pump. I await your photo(s) by email.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Sep 05, 2015 7:37pm

As you appear unwilling to enter into an email dialogue with me so we can both be sent images that are large enough to be of some use I will try to help you from images I have found on Google for that engine. I note your avatar and forum name is Dutton and I thought a lot of those vehicles used similar Ford petrol engines so inspecting the car may give you a clue. Normally the take off is on the engine side of the thermostat, often from the side of that part of the head that houses the thermostat body. I have been unable to find an image showing that area but it looks as if there may be a flat there that could be drilled and tapped to accept a hose spigot. Failing that the temperature sender seems to be in the back of the head. If you fit a T piece here you can then connect the calorifier hose and the temperature sender. I do not know what thread. The return is more problematic because the hose connecting the manifold to the engine water pump is too short to fit a T (on the images I found). Try taking off the rectangular plate on the front end of the manifold. If coolant (with antifreeze) comes out drill and tap this plate for a return hose spigot but I fear it may be exhaust gasses. If it is the I fear you may have to drill and tap the side of the manifold but I would advise that you take out the heat exchanger core first so you do not damage it. You may find Sheridan Marine on the Thames can supply a kit or give better advice.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.54 seconds.