Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Ray
Ray

Posted: Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:12pm

Post Subject: Draining Central Heating

Hi Tony, Have you any advice to give on the best way to drain a narrowboat central heating system which comprises an MX40 and 3 radiators.. My problem is the lowest part of the system is at deck "floor" level so a bucket to collect water seems to be impractical. PS I enjoy reading your expert advice section of the magazine and have picked all manner of tips/ideas from it. Thanks, Ray Fairwood

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:47am

First of all have a close inspection and trace the pipes. Sometimes a pipe extends into the engine bay with a drain cock on the end. You could find a drain cock low down somewhere else in the system. A drain cock has a barbed fitting on it for a hose. I have two on my system so that with the aid of a drill pump the liquid in the system can be pumped into containers for proper disposal. Please note that antifreeze is classes as a hazardous substance and should only be disposed of at refuse sites with the facility to collect it. If you have neither on your boat then I fear it is a case of seeing if an oven roasting tin or maybe fairly shallow plastic containers will fit under a pipe union so you can loosen the union a slowly drain the system that way. If you are forced to do this I would advocate fitting a drain cock when the system is empty. You can often replace an elbow feeding the last radiator in the system with a T piece and fit the cock to one arm of the .

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 7:48am

Sorry - the word Tee missed from the end of the last sentence above.

Ray
Ray

Posted: Sun Oct 04, 2015 10:47pm

Thank you Tony, you've come up trumps again! I hadn't thought of a pump drill, this just proves the value of our contribution to CB magazine.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.