Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
malibusun
malibusun

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 5:02pm

Post Subject: clonking

Hi Tony I have a kingfisher kd 26 when moving slow forward or backwards or slowing down i get this clonking sound a bit like back lash in a back axle i have checked the transmission shaft ujs bearing mind the shaft is at least 6ft long any ideas what it could be thanks john

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:00pm

Dear John, without the Kingfisher manual so I can check the gearbox internals it is hard to say, but two things come to mind. You mention UJs (Universal joints). If these are Hooks type joints as used on older cars then they are not designed to take end thrust so a thrust bearing or plumber block should have been fitted to the prop shaft itself. Has this got wear in it allowing the shaft to move back and forth under prop thrust? This is also the symptoms of a drive plate starting to fail, but I am afraid that I do not know if Kingfisher use one. If they do I would suggest the gearbox is taken off so you can inspect the plate. Loose engine mounts may also do that if the shaft is passing prop thrust to the engine. I hope this is of some help. Darglow Engineering deal with Kingfisher engines. Tony Brooks

malibusun
malibusun

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 11:20am

Thanks tony I got in touch with darglow engineering but the guy as never supplied a drive plate and didunt no if it had one fitted and ware I would get one thanks for your help john

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:32pm

Right. We need to find out if its a Kingfisher box or one of the readily available ones. I think I have seen a PRM on a Kingfisher, but I have also seen their own box. If it is NOT a Kingfisher box it will almost certainly use a drive plate, especially if the flywheel is in the normal "vehicle" place at the back of the engine. If you email a digi-pic of the gearbox to Tony@TB-training.co.uk I will see if I can identify the box. If a drive plate is needed most larger chandlers and engineering outfits can obtain one to pattern, but the gearbox will have to come off to check it.Tony Brooks

bjornunda
bjornunda

Posted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:32pm

Hello Tony There is a KD26 Manual available on my website at www.kingfisherdieselengines.org It may help you to answer John Boy's question.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:57pm

Many thanks for that. This sort of info is like rocking horse dung! The gearbox appears to be driven by set of radial fingers with rubber bushes on the end. These bushes fit into the flywheel. My guess would those bushes have disintegrated, so the gearbox needs to come off for inspection. All those readers with Kingfishers - please bookmark that site. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.56 seconds.