Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
robinj100
robinj100

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 12:58pm

Post Subject: Barus Shire Engine reluctant to start

Hi, We have a 4 cylinder 40hp 2002 Barus shire engine in our 55 ft narrowboat. Its hours are unknown, as the boat was neglected before we baught it. It breaths some oil out of the air filter, and fumes out of the breather pipe, as well as blue smoke out of the exhaust, especially when cold, although hardly ever needs topped up with oil. It has had fuel problems in the past, and has a new injector pump 2 years ago along with the injectors serviced. The fuel tenk has been purged, and the desil polished. The fuel filters were changed the other day and the old ones appeared pretty clean.Last month we developed a fuel leek, and the engine would not start without bleeding. The leek has been cured by replacing the no.4 injector pipe. I thought this would cure the bad starting, but no! It is still reluctant to start without about 50 strokes on the manuel leaver on the mechanical lift pump. When you crank the engine there is no fuel vapour coming out of the exhaust. It will start however, after using the lift pump, and cranking for a bit. Once started like this and stopped, it will start again imediately if tried again at once. When it is stopped after prolonged running it wont start without the lift pump. The engine otherwise gives plenty of power, once started, eg. 200rpm on a river no problems, without overheating. At normal canal revs, 1400 it runs at 70deg with a healthy oil pressure. Have you any ideas what could be causing my problem? Cheers. Robin Johnson

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 2:07pm

The oil from the air filter and fumes form the crankcase breather are indicative of fairly severe engien wear or stuck piston rings. Normally I would suggest this would be the cause of your problems but you say that unless you use the priming lever on the lift pump you get no fumes/white smoke from the exhaust. This could show you have no compression but if that was the case the engien would never start so it firmly points to a fuel problem. I suspect that something is letting air get into the fuel filter and/or injector pump. Most modern engines tend to be self bleeding to a degree so I think that in using the priming lever plus a bit of extra cranking the engine is bleeding itself of air. Most, but not all narrrowboats have the fuel tank located above the engine so a crack in the filter head or a loose pipe union would not normally cause such issues unless the supply pipe from the tank was blocked. If however, your tank is below the engine then a crack or loose union would allow the fuel to fall back into the tank and draw air into the system. I think that you need to look very carefully at the whole fuel system looking for cracks and loose unions. The remove a tank union and try blowing back into the tank in case the outlet pipe is blocked. If you do not hear bubbles in the tank the outlet pipe (inside the tank) may be split. It might be worth removing the lift pump outlet pipe and seeing how much fuel is expelled under cranking per "fuel pulse". It should be at least half an egg cup full. Also remove the inlet pipe. put your finger over it and crank the engine. The pump should hold vacuum under your finger for at least 30 seconds after you stop cranking. Ditto the outlet but this time it is pressure you are testing. If the pump turns out to have little output at cranking or will not hold vacuum/pressure then a Facit electric lift pump fed from the ignition switch may be cheaper than a new mechanical one from Barrus. I am afraid that I can not be much more help remote form the boat. TB

robinj100
robinj100

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 5:21pm

Your advice is very usefull, regarding the lift pump, and I'll try what you sugest next time i'm at the boat. Thankyou Tonie. I have already tried blowing fuel back into the tank, from the fuel tap union, and do get bubbles. There is a good flow from the tap under gravity. Regarding the smoking etc. I think that it is probably a case of new rings. Cheers, Robin

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.33 seconds.