Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Atlanta24
Atlanta24

Posted: Tue Oct 13, 2015 6:40pm

Post Subject: GRP Antifouling

I recently purchased my first GRP cruiser to use on the canal system. I have a query regarding antifouling on freshwater. Do you think it is absolutely necessary and if so, how often should this be done?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Oct 14, 2015 7:51am

Post Subject: GRP Antifouling

No it is not absolutely necessary and even if you do use it how often it needs re-applying depends upon type. Some are poisons that woudl work on canals but I expect they are now hard to get or close to being banned. Some are designed to shed their surface at speed so woudl probably not work at canal speeds, some contain copper. Each type will have a different "life". If the boat is one that you take home rather than keep afloat a quick scrub down each time you pull it out will be effective. I have no idea about the current CRT and EA's stance on antifouling so maybe check that first, then research suitable types. It is probably advisable that GRP boats are taken from the water every tow or three years to check for underwater hull damage and the rudder, prop, shaft and bearing and I suspect many inland GRP boaters simply scrub down then, much like the steel boaters do. After all at canal speeds any fouling is unlikely to make a significant difference to speed/fuel consumption.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.