Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Ray
Ray

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:08am

Post Subject: 22mm Plastic pipe connection to MX40 heater

Hi, My narrowboat was fitted with central heating and I want to replace the 15mm main pipe runs with 22mm poly piping. Have you any suggestions on how best to connect the 22mm pipe to the rubber heater hose from the MX40, the rubber hose I/d is 16mm, I think. I note that Polypipe make a hose connection but say it is not suitable for central heating (House domestic I assume) but the fitting looks to be the same type as their other fittings which are suitable for central heating. Is there limitation due to building regs I wonder? Regards, Ray

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 11:50am

Post Subject: 22mm Plastic pipe connection to MX40 heater

Although you did not ask the first thing I will say is that I found the plastic pipe reinforcing inserts unreliable where compression fitting are concerned. This may well apply at the radiator connections. If it does my advice would be to buy metal inserts from a proper plumbers' merchant. If you can find a metal barbed hose connector with a suitable sized female thread I think a Poly tap connector would do the job (Screwfix 64549 & similar). If you can not find such a hose connector then you can solder a 15mm Yorkshire straight connector to a short length of 15mm pipe. The bumps on the outside of the Yorkshire fitting act as barbs so the hose can not work its way off and it provides strength so the hose clip can not deform it. I think poly fitting also work with copper pipe so a female 15 to 22mm coupler should do the job. If all else fails use a compression coupler with metal reinforcing insert in the plastic pipe. I hope this helps.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.