Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
peterjr
peterjr

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:11pm

Post Subject: Heating

Hi, i have a 45ft Narrowboat with a Muti Fuel Stove. This heats the boat fine but dos'nt burn until i return from work. Is there anything available similiar to a night heater found in lorries that i can just turn on or set on a thermostat and timer so te boat is warm on my return until i get the stove lit again. The hot water set up is fine its just a single heat source i need to take the chill off. Thanks, Pete

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:41pm

The same makers of those can heaters also make marine versions. That is (In no order) Webasto, Eberspacher & Mikuni. They are available in hot air of hot water - radiator systems. However, in the past, there have been rumours of unreliably but a lot of that seems to have come from incorrect installation and possibly operation. For your stated purpose perhaps a Propex gas warm air system might suffice. I say warm air if you use a water boiler you would also need to install radiators and pipe them. If radiators are not a problem then there are also Alde (gas) and Hurricane (diesel) boilers.

peterjr
peterjr

Posted: Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:48pm

thanks for your help Tony, no my water heating is fine and i was'nt looking to install radiators. Thanks for the info

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Nov 23, 2015 7:21am

I should have warned you that at least one of the cab type diesel heater makers uses different firmware settings in its marine form so a second hand automotive one might cause you grief in one way or another. If you decide to try the second hand route it would be best to contact the UK distributor for the brand to try to get confirmation it would work satisfactorily in a boat. I understand its mainly voltage thresholds that are different.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.