Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
hobbyhorse
hobbyhorse

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 11:35am

Post Subject: Stern Gear

Hi Tony, Thanks for the info. on batteries. Is there any way of maintaining Vetus stern gear? Mine has just started to leak very slightly after a day's running and it does not appear to have the conventional arrangement for packing the gland. Will I have to take the boat out of the water? Regards Len Palfrey

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:33pm

Post Subject: Stern Gear

Hi Len, I have to be a bit careful with this one because it seems to me that there is sometimes a discrepancy between what Vetus say and what canal boaters are told. Have a look here : (http://www.vetusweb.com/manuals_55.php) and select the manual for your actual stern gear, you need to click on the black bold model numbers shown towards the bottom of the images of pages. If you do not know the model number you can get an idea from any of the models with smaller (25+) model numbers. Vetus describe the maintenance required every so many hours. the one I looked at was every 200 hours with the boat out of the water. This involves removing the seal, cleaning and re-lubricating the shaft. I think it also shows how you squeeze special grease down a screw hole every so often. It is also possible to replace just the seal part but to do that the shaft coupling would have to come off and steps taken to protect the seal from any sharp edges and burrs on the shaft when you slide the new one into position. I have heard of people changing the seal with the boat afloat but I would not be happy to do so the first time. Please make sure the shaft is not bent and that the shaft to engine alignment has not altered. If the engine has dropped on its mounts the sela may well leak.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.