Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
12flops31
12flops31

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:20pm

Post Subject: boat

thanks for your info not really sure what a z drive is the boat is 25 ft fiberglass construction it has a leg which comes out and lifts up and down the steering is hydralic it definatnaty doesnt have a rudder r any ballast in it would increasing size of propellar make a diffrance regards mike

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2016 7:15pm

Post Subject: boat

Thanks. As long as you have an inboard engine the thing that lifts up and down is known as a Z drive or outdrive. I find hydraulic steering on a 25 ft boat a bit like overkill unless its an import form the USA but as long as you are sure its hydraulic steering have you topped the system up and bled it of any air? How thsi is done depends upon the individual make and model as does the type and grade of oil required. Lack of oil would give you lots of free play on the steering. Some of these small GRP boats had a wooden keel bolted to the hull. If yours had one but it is not there now it could well give directional instability. Even a grossly undersized propeller should allow steering but only when in gear and maybe revving a bit. Unless I can see how the boat sits on the water then I can not say anything more about the likelihood of this being a ballast problem. Send a photo to Tony@tb-training.co.uk. You can get or make bolt on rudders for such drive legs that may help low speed and out of gear steering.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.53 seconds.