Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
nbpippin
nbpippin

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 11:26am

Post Subject: Chimney Collar

I need to replace the badly corroded collar on the roof of my Springer. Any information on how to remove the old one and how to seal the new one would be appreciated.Mike

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Jan 30, 2016 1:00pm

The chimney collar is more often than not a very heavy chuck of cast iron and although it may rust such rust is likely to be superficial so I can not be sure about what you mean by a chimney collar. Springers are getting on rather now and being a budget boat may well have done something a bit different with the chimney. They could have even welded the stove pipe to the roof. Usually the cast collars are held into the roof by two bolts or studs. You need access to the underside of the roof to be undo them. I sealed mine with a bead of high temperature (stove) silicon around the boss and one of the more normal marine sealers over the rest of it. I think I used a Stika product but there are several others. If you email a photo of what concerns you to Tony@tb-training.co.uk I will have a look to see if I can be more helpful.

nbpippin
nbpippin

Posted: Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:37pm

Thanks Tony. I will send a pic in a few days. The stove pipe is not welded to the roof as I replaced it some years ago and it fits into something (a collar?). Mike

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.53 seconds.