Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
SmoothAs
SmoothAs

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:52am

Post Subject: Solo boating

Hello members, I am an Australian who in 2013 went to the UK with my wife and did a narrowboat on the Thames River for two weeks. I would like to come again, but this time I would e on my own due to my wife going elsewhere with her girlfriends. I would like to do a solo boating trip, possibly from Glasgow to Edinburgh or visa versa (one way preferably) but understand that many of the boat hire companies will not do solo hire. Could anyone please advise of a company which does solo boat hire, obviously small enough. The narrowboat we did ourselves was 58' in length so I envisage a smaller narrowboat or cruiser???? Responses can be via this forum or preferably to OnHolidaysagain@gmail.com Thank you.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 7:27am

I am sure there will be others who ask the same question so it would be unfair on them to reply in a manner that prevents them seeing what is said. I started to Google for contact information etc. for UK inland boat hire companies and, as you say, most sites would not allow you to reduce the number you are booking for below two. I started to Google some of the smaller companies I know of and did find one where there was no mention of minimum numbers but you would need to phone confirm this. Unfortunately they were in the South Midlands. I think it would be as easy for you to search the internet and email or phone companies that do not give a minimum number. However I suspect that just one week's prior boating experience may not be acceptable to many. It would be all too easy for an inexperienced single hander to sink a boat in a lock and then the company would loose hire income as well as letting down the next hirers. Bets of luck in your quest and if any readers know of a company that might hire to a single hander please add your comments.

SmoothAs
SmoothAs

Posted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:08pm

Thank you Tony for your response. I will continue my search for any company which might accommodate my needs. You mention one weeks boating experience, I have owned my own boat in Australia for over 13 years, did the two weeks on the River Thames and have done solo boat hire on the Shannon River IN the Republic Of Ireland. I spent my tourist dollar in Ireland because a number of boat hire companies permit solo hire, which includes locks etc. I am hoping that one of your readers may come up with a solo solution to doing the Glasgow-Edinburgh route if not my $$$ can be spent in Irelad where I have the waterways above the Shannon to yet do. I note a section in one of the Canal Boat and Tillergraph magazines which contained details of boat hire companies so I will give that a go. Thanks again, Regards, Bob.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:18am

I suspected that you might have more experience than you talked about in your original post so it will be important to get that recognised by any company you email or phone. There is one major hire boat company on the Union Canal and I have found one privately owned hire fleet. http://www.capercailliecruisers.co.uk/index.html . However they now seem to use the on-line booking portal provided by the National Company so I would suggest you email them or phone.

SmoothAs
SmoothAs

Posted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:30am

Thanks again Tony. I downloaded the free issue of Tillergraph and also conducted an extensive internet search and found about 20 boat hirers to whom I sent my enquiry. Within less than 24hrs, many have responded and at the moment 7, yes 7 have advised that they will solo hire a small sized boat, some being narrowband and others being cruisers. It is pleasing to know that some companies have recognised age and previous experience and will permit me to do it on my own. As the bases are spread throughout the UK my next task is to look at the various companies, their bases and routes available. Thanks again, from a happy man.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.33 seconds.