Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Linette
Linette

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:02pm

Post Subject: Blacking Problems

Can anyone help? We Purchased a narrow boat early last year, when the out of water survey was completed, we took advantage of having it grit blasted and having 2 pack epoxy blacking done. We were advised this would last several years before needing to be redone. After 9 months there are large patches of rust showing through the paintwork on the bow and spreading along the sides of the boat. Having paid a considerable amount of money to have this work done, we feel that the work carried out by the marina is not of satisfactory quality, as described and has not lasted a reasonable length of time. We were wondering what course of action would be needed to remedy this problem, and would we be able to claim for any extra costs incurred if we have to go back to the marina that carried out the work in the 1st place ?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:31pm

Please remember that I am not legally qualified. I think the first thing you need to do is to dig out the contract etc. relating to the blacking and read it in case the company offer a guarantee. Then take photos and contact the company to get their reaction. While you are doing this contact your local Citizens Advice who I think the government has contracted to deal with consumer protection issues for the general public. They should be able to point you in the right direction and give better advice. If you cannot resolve the situation with the original company then you will have to have the work done elsewhere and at your cost but get them to give you a written report of any defects they sound in the original work. Then you can think about using the small claims court. I would imagine that the claim could include expenses. I would be very reluctant to advise that you consult a solicitor apart from the typical free first consultation because that adds to your costs with not guarantee that you will ever get them back. Even if you won in court the original company might well get put into liquidation or avoid paying in some other way. I suspect the faulty area and for a fair way all around will need to be grit blasted, and residual rust dealt with and then the matching primer and two pack paint system re-applied. However you need to be sure that the cause is not mechanical damage caused by rubbing the bow along lock sides and hard canal edgings. If it is then I fear the whole cost will be down to you.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:32pm

Should read defects the FOUND, not sound. Sorry. TB

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.