Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
JinnyMint...
JinnyMint...

Posted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:38am

Post Subject: Lost Revs

Dear Mr Brooks. Thank you for the further advice, which I've just read. I have just returned from a 2 hour run after checking the return pipes as previously advised and the problem still persists, there is however an improvement, between Napton locks and Calcut locks it happened 3 times but on the return run only once slightly at Napton Narrowboats, it was fine from there back to Napton locks. This problem only occurs when the boat is under way, this makes remedial action difficult because if I leave the morse leaver alone the engine occasionally stops completely . I have run the engine for an hour in gear whilst moored and the problem does not happen. I will do further checks for air leaks and look at the valve clearance over the weekend and let you know. Thank you. Brian Clensy

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 5:02pm

Checking these things when under way is a two person job. Once you are sure nothing else is amiss you could try adding a tin of injector cleaner form a car place to the fuel tank. Have a google for Leamco motor factors or try the car accessory shop in Daventry highstreet.

JinnyMint...
JinnyMint...

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:38am

Dear Mr Brooks, Thanks for that, not been able to get to boat, so not done valve clearance yet, will keep you up dated. Thanks for the help. Brian Clensy

JinnyMint...
JinnyMint...

Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:22pm

Dear Mr Brooks, I have checked valve clearance, all were a little large so adjusted to hand book, have not had a chance to obtain injector cleaner yet so when I have I will take take the boat out and let you know. Regards Brian Clensy

JinnyMint...
JinnyMint...

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:47am

Dear Mr Brooks, sorry to say i have not gone away. Took the boat out for about 4 hours, for the first three quarters of an hour i thought we had cracked it but then the problem returned just as bad as ever including two complete cut outs one of which resulted in a very embarrassing collision. Have got the injector cleaner now so that's the next step, will keep you informed. Regards Brian Clensy

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 9:06am

It is not clear as to exactly how you have ensured there are no air leaks into the fuel system Unless we are 100% sure there are no air leaks then looking for tight valves and injector faults are very much of a secondary consideration. As yet you have not given any feedback on the injector pipe pulse tests apart from saying it is difficult to do. Unless you can feel a loss of pulses using injector cleaner will be a very random affair. As we have established that you have a mechanical fuel lift pump it would be a good idea to loosen the bleed screw on the injector pump while the engine is still running but misfiring. No air should come out wit the fuel. If it does than you have an air leak into the fuel system. This is a two person job. One controlling the boat while the other feels the injector pipes or loosens the bleed screw. As I said many posts ago I fear that you will be forced into taking the boat to a Vetus Agent.

JinnyMint...
JinnyMint...

Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 10:40am

Dear Mr Brooks , I enlisted some help and we performed all the checks you advised and could find no air in the system. I put the boat into Calcut for a week and had them check everything you recommended again, apart from a small amount of water which they extracted from the fuel tank they could find nothing wrong. By the time I got the boat through the locks it was as bad as ever. As a last resort I fixed up a fuel line from a can of clean diesel into the separator and it ran perfectly, I forgot to run the return pipe to the can though and ran out of fuel, not a mistake I'll make again. Yesterday I had the fuel polished and cleaned, very little water was found at all, I then took the boat for a two hour run with no problems. The diesel in my tanks could be quite old as I was given it last year and it came from a factory heating tank, the factory was closing down. Do you think as a certain amount of biofuel is in use now it may have degraded? Thank you for all your help. Brian Clensy.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 11:12am

What I think is that that last very important piece of information should have been give right at the start of this topic. Goodness knows what nasties may have been in the fuel, especially if they drained the tank and gave it all to you. Traditionally there would be a course gauze filter on the end of the pick up pipe in the tank, putting the dregs of a factory's heating oil into the boat's tank could well fully or partially block this. I have no idea if your boat has such a strainer or not but even if it does not large pieces of muck could still block the outlet pipe but then float away when the engine is stopped and the boat rocked a little. If there was dirt, water or bug in the "fuel" goodness knows what state your water traps/filters are now in. I may be best to carry spares so you have them to hand if they block.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.