Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
geoffrey
geoffrey

Posted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 11:50pm

Post Subject: stern tube types

Hi, I am looking at buying a new narrowboat but am concerned that the builder usually fits a water lubricated type of stern tube ( Vetus? ) I am used to the traditional greased filled stuffing gland type and am apprehensive about possible reliability issues and ease/cost of maintenance with the water lubricated type. Any thoughts about which type is best suited for canal use? Thanks.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 10:53am

First of all go onto the Vetus website and look up what they say about the maintenance required for their stern glands and note what they say about the need to be out of the water and the frequency required. I have been told something different by a supplier selling Vetus stern gear into the canal world. Inland users of the Vetus gear say something different again. My view is very much in line with your's re a conventional packed gland. I am also not convinced that Cutless rubber shaft bearings are ideal for use in muddy, gritty, possibly oil contaminated water. Tony Brooks

geoffrey
geoffrey

Posted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:12pm

s Tony, I am reassured by your answer and I've decided that if the builder doesn't want to fit a stern gear of my choice, then I'll go elsewhere. See you on the water! Nigel

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.