Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Turbo1948
Turbo1948

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 2:59pm

Post Subject: Maintenance

Hi, I have just had my narrowboat extended by 8 feet to 55 feet to add a permanent double berth but the engine, although hardly used (less than 200 hours), is still 35hp. Is there any way I can increase its power output for the times I need to? Also, my water pump has started to work intermittently following not being used over the winter. Please suggest a solution. Many thanks, John

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:14pm

I have a 30 HP 54ft long boat in which we have gone all over the system including the tidal Trent, the London river, the upper Thames in all but flood and I have never felt I suffered from a lack of power. I do know how to read the water flows and use slack water and eddies to my advantage. I short I do not think you need any more power but learning about boat handling in flowing water may be an advantage. As you do not tell me what engine you have I can not look up to see if a turbocharged version has ever been made but even if one has conversion would be expensive because it would need new manifolds that may or may not fit a marinised engine, the installation of one or two automatic controls and the resetting of the injector pump. I any case I doubt careful examination of the test charts for your engine will show it is 35 HP engine and even then it will only be true if your engine is correctly propped and can reach the revs stated for 35 HP while in gear. As for the water pump please will you be more specific and descriptive in telling me the symptoms. Without more detailed information I would be perfectly correct to say "fill the water tank and turn the main stop valve on". What happens when you turn the electrical supply to the pump on? What happens when you open a tap? How much water comes from the tap? And so on.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:41am

Please can you supply a better description of what the water pump is or is not doing otherwise I can not even begin to diagnose possible causes. At the moment your question could be construed to mean it is working properly in that such pumps normally only run with a tap open and then very occasionally throughout the day - that is intermittent. If it ran all the time in the vast majority of cases it would indicate a fault. Thanks in anticipation. Tony Brooks

Turbo1948
Turbo1948

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:00am

Thank you Tony. Firstly, the engine is a Beta 35 with less than 200 hours on the clock. Secondly, the water pump only occasionally works with taps open and a full tank. Regards, John

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:48am

Sometimes engine marinisers offer different power ratings from the same base engine. They do this by either fitting a turbo-charger or by de-rating the fuel delivery on the lower power engines. Unfortunately Beta do not seem to do this with the next size up on the 43 having a larger cylinder capacity. They only seem to offer a turbo option on very large engines. Beta use Kubota base engines so you may find your base engine is available with a greater power output from their automotive, industrial, or agricultural engine range but I rather doubt it. I also doubt very much that you will need any more power for the stretched boat. I paraphrase what I tried to say in my last post, power is not a substitute for watermanship. The extra skin friction created by the lengthening is not likely to make a massive effect on the way the boat handles and drives. There are two main potential problem areas for the water pump. The electrical supply or the pump itself. First of all with the pump turned on and a tap open use a slipper (NOT a hammer) to give the pump a really good whack. If the pump starts it is probably worn/sticky brushes in the motor or a faulty pressure switch. Try bypassing the pressure switch that is in the end of the pump. If the pump then starts and runs all the time the problem is probably the pressure switch. You can either fit a new pump or fit an external pressure switch. If none of this has any effect then it is probably an electrical supply issue so you need to start check that there is voltage on the input side of the water pump switch. IF there is work towards the pump checking every connection and the cable for breaks. If there is no voltage at the switch then work back towards the battery to include any fuses etc. If you have a 12V test lamp it will be a better test than using a voltmeter because it puts a real load on the circuit and will thus identify a restive joint. A voltmeter will not unless the pump is turned on and drawing current but as the pump will not run I expect a voltmeter will do.

Turbo1948
Turbo1948

Posted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:51pm

Thank you again Tony - I will check out your suggestions. Regards, John

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.