Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
JohnBoggis
JohnBoggis

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:55am

Post Subject: Engine Maintenance

We have an Isuzu 42 4LC1 engine and the time has arrived to check and adjust the valve clearances recommended at 1000 hrs and ours has reached 1200. I have been told the rocker box cover has a rubber gasket. Is this true or does it require a new cork or paper gasket. the instruction manula we have does not indicate this. Is there a workshop manual available for this engine like the Haynes car manuals used to be. I have searched online but cannot find the answers. Second question:- We have a Stoves GG2200 oven which is in very good condition and hardly used prior to our boat purchase. On our first long cruise last year the gas valve jambed in the on position requiring gas isolation to turn it off. We managed to obtain a replacement valve and temperature sensor phile. It was replaced (very carefully) and the joints bubble tested for safety and all worked well or so it seemed. however the temperature control on the oven does not control. the phile is not damaged and the valve otherwise operates the grille and oven. Did I miss something in the commissioning of this valve. the installation instructions did not indicate any adjustments are necessary to set it up. we have now purchased a second replacement valve and need to make sure we are installing it correctly before installation.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:35pm

Post Subject: Engine Maintenance

First of al the question about the stove. I regret that we can not advise you about doing an work that involves gas because I have no idea about your competence (as required by the BSS for private holiday boats) or your Gasafe certification as probably required for livaboards. For the manual look at http://www.wincogen.com/files/downloads/winco_en gine_maintenance/isuzu_4le1_opm.pdf or http://boatdiesel.com/Engines/Isuzu/Manuals/Isuz u-4LB1-4LC1-4LE1-Industrial-Diesel-Engine-Worksh op-Manual-107-04K-First-edition-Oct-1995.cfm?PDF ID=3968811400575&Page=26 These will almost certainly be for the base engine and not the marine version. Almost all modern engines use a rubber rocker cover gasket so the Isuzu probably does as well (I have never had one apart). The procedure for adjusting the valve clearances once you know what that clearance should be is simple. Turn the engine over until one valve is fully down. Mark the engine pulley (the lowest one). Use the mark to allow you to turn the engine over one more full turn give or take an inch. Adjust that valve. This will work on any engine with any number of cylinders and any valve arrangement. If neither link above is any good you could try chatting to one of the major hire fleets because that engine ions very popular or talk to an Isuzu industrial/agricultural engine dealer. The base engine is the same.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.