Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
My boat
My boat

Posted: Tue May 24, 2016 9:23pm

Post Subject: What are these please

This is a Bukh Dv10 engine on my kids boat. There is I am guessing something akin to a glow/ heater plug of some description on the air filter pan. I have trolled around Google for hours looking for the same thing on a picture of the engine but not yet found anything. The red wire leading to it is reading around 12 volts all the time regardless of the ignition being off and both the leisure battery switch and engine battery switches both turned off. The "heater plug" gets hot and smoke comes out of the air filter pan. I have disconnected it at the moment as it does not affect the starting or running of the engine. Should the wire/ plug be hot when nothing is turned on and engine not running. Also you will see the small pipe coming off the air inlet. It looks like it may have gone to a small metal tank attached to the bulkhead but only a small piece if metal remains. I can only post 1 picture. I have a few more if needed. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

What are these please
Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 7:16am

Thank you for your question. Regrettably it is little use posting image son the forum because the forum software reduces them so much but I think I can see enough to answer. The DV10 and DV20 range of engines are indirect injected and although Bukh engines are generally good cold starters in extreme conditions would need some additional heat for the initial start. This can be provided by a large coil like plug in the inlet manifold or, as I think in your case, a thermostart or flame plug in the same place. The cold start device must only operate when cold starting so you need to see if there is some kind of separate switch for it, a timer relay, or a relay controlled by a switch. You may well find that originally the thermostart was controlled by a "heat" position on the ignition switch. Without inspecting the boat I can say no more but thermostarts are supplied by 12 volts so it should be easy to fit a dedicated push button switch for it. The electrical thermostart heating coil is only a small affair and would make very little difference to cold starting on its own so fuel is fed from the small container you mention through the tube and into the centre of the plug. This is ignited by the coil and forms something like a blowlamp in the manifold when operated. This is why the air cleaner is made of metal. As the thermostart has been left operating all the time it may well have burned out but if you take the air cleaner off and look into the manifold you should see it glowing if its OK. They were very common on the Perkins 4-10x series of engines. In the UK you may find it is not required at all for cold starting on a Bukh in good condition. If this is a canal boat then T W Marine at High Peak are an excellent source of advice and spares. If you need me to look at other images please email me direct to Tony@TB-Training.co.uk.

My boat
My boat

Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:26pm

Tony, many thanks for your quick reply and expert diagnosis. I think it is as you describe it, the heater plug thing does get very hot when the wire is connected so it seems like it is still operational. What type of fuel would it use? Also should there be an air filter element in there somewhere. I will contact the company you mention to see if it is still possible to obtain the missing fuel tank. I will have a look at the weekend and trace the wire back to see where it goes.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:56am

The flame plug uses diesel or paraffin. As you have diesel to hand it will do fine. Bukh's tend to be good cold starters and as they are Danish they will be designed for starting in colder than UK temperatures. You will probably find that you do not need the plug or its fuel supply in the UK. At least wait until next winter before you spend any money. As its a metal air cleaner You can simulate the plugs effect by directing a blowlamp into the air intake if the need arises. Then think about getting the tank, it could well be very expensive for what it is. Some engines feed the flame plug from the engine fuel system leak off to the tank. The air cleaner may or may not contain a wire mesh. If it does not it is just an intake silencer. You should see or feel the mesh of you take the unit off the engine and look up outlet pipe. If it has a mesh wash the whole thing out in paraffin or white spirit. When dry you really should run engine oil through it and let it drain before refitting it. This coats the wire mesh with oil that is supposed to trap dust. Personally I would leave it dry. If you can not blow through the filter very easily any mesh is probably clogged with hair etc. First try swilling it an paraffin or white spirit and directing a blowlamp up the intake. With a bit of luck this will incinerate the hair. When it is cool swill it out again to remove any ash. If that fails it will be a question of cutting it open to get at the mesh, cleaning it, and then welding it back up. Both options will require repainting.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.