Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
My boat
My boat

Posted: Wed May 25, 2016 10:02pm

Post Subject: Which pump should I use?

I need to replace the broken water pump on my kids narrowboat but not sure which one to use. They don't have a shower fitted, just a small handbasin and kitchen sink. The water heater is a Paloma ph5-3f. I can't find any info on what the maximum flow rate litres per minute,only that the maximum water pressure should not exceed 100psi. I am looking at fitting a shurflo 30psi 10.6 gallons per minute. Will that be too much or will it be ok. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu May 26, 2016 6:39am

Post Subject: Which pump should I use?

The photos you sent me show a Jabsco water pump mounted on an accumulator with a external pressure switch, probably a Square D brand. You do not tell me what you mean by the water pump is broken so I am going to assume that it simply will not run. but pumps can fail in other ways. The blue accumulator is important in that it helps smooth the pump's output and keeps it turned off for longer when it is turned on with closed taps. make sure the accumulator is pressurised to about the pump CUT IN pressure, whatever pump you choose. The pressure switches in modern pumps tend not to be exactly robust so I would advise that you keep the pressure switch and use it to simply bypass the switch in the new pump. You will have to unscrew it from the pump and fit it in a T on the pipe that runs from the accumulator to the taps.However you need to make sure the switch is correctly wired and not faulty so make sure that you have 12 volts on the positive supply to the switch. If you do not there is a blown fuse, broken cable or terminal or a faulty switch between the battery and pressure switch. Also check for 12V on the wire running between switch and pump and pressure switch. If you have 12 volts going into the switch and nothing coming out then the pressure switch is faulty. In that case you might as well use the pressure switch on the new pump. As long as the pump supplies sufficient pressure and flow to operate the gas valve in the Paloma the actual pressure and flow rate is not that important (unlike for a boat using a calorifier) so nearly any readily available pump should be fine. Certainly the one you mention will do the job.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.48 seconds.