Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
prunella
prunella

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 8:31am

Post Subject: Thornycroft Engine

I have a Thornycroft RNR6 engine as used in the old Routemaster Buses with a gear box from Self Changing Gear Company, type R71.2. What type of Gear box oil do I need? Thanks Mark

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2016 11:10am

Post Subject: Thornycroft Engine

I am afraid that I can not answer this question because I have neither found nor have any information. From very distant memory we did have a few SCG gear boxes on the hire fleet in the 70s but what model I have no idea. I know they used an oil that looked like amber engine oil but it might have been hydraulic oil. Possibly SAE 20 or SAE 30. Such gearboxes have things in common with older Twin Disc boxes so maybe you could find out what oil they use and take a risk.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.28 seconds.