Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
billyboyle
billyboyle

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 8:00am

Post Subject: Hull Blacking

I am having a new boat built. my builder uses two-pack epoxy for this. Should I have the hull shot blast before they apply this or not? I have been advised that it doesn't need it as it fix's better to the surface if not blasted.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:37pm

Post Subject: Hull Blacking

I can not give you a definitive answer because I do not know exactly what two pack epoxy blacking the builder will be using and I do not know exactly what steel the hull builder used. The exact blacking is important so the manufacturer's application instructions can be scrutinised. If the application instructions say the steel should be blasted in some way (probably quoting a BS or ISO number defining the preparation) then that trumps anything the builder may claim. the steel is important because most steel used in UK boat construction is hot rolled and that creates a film of mill scale on the surface. When water gets under mill scale and starts rusting the mill scale falls off together with the hull blacking. some form of blasting is usually recommended to remove the scale. However steel can be obtained that has been treated to remove the scale before delivery so as long as there was no rust and any preservative oil was removed maybe blasting would not be needed. If you can get those pieces of information from the builder you can then look up the application instructions on the internet or phone the makers advice line to find out what they recommend.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.25 seconds.