Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
phelix27
phelix27

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:18am

Post Subject: One Week Routes

Apologies all, its my first time on here. You've probably been asked this a million times and so I apologise in advance but I'm taking my first narrowboat holiday in August. I've got a week and Jim (the boat) is in Warwick. Could anyone suggest a good out and return route from Warwick for a rank beginner. Having said that I'm relatively fit and so not afraid of a lock or two if necessary (although preferably not). Thank you in advance.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 1:53pm

I wished that you asked before booking the boat because for an absolute beginner maybe Warwick is not the best starting base. To the north you have the 21 wide beam locks of the Hatton flight and to the south a series of lock flights, also wide beam, including the 8 locks of the Stockton flight. Hopefully you would be able to pair up with experienced boaters who will show you the ropes. It is not difficult, just fatiguing when you have lots of locks and 21 turns of the windlass to raise and another 21 turns to lower the paddles. Times that by four if you are going to use all the paddles. Given reasonable proficiency at locks I would think that you could get to Braunston and back in a week and possibly go up the Braunston flight so you can try the tunnel. Going north you could go onto the south Stratford canal and possibly get to Wootton Wawen before turning. That way you will also enjoy the experience of a fair few narrow locks. It maybe a good idea to get the Nicholsons Guide to the Grand Union, Oxford and the South East. I think W H Smiths may stock the series. Many chandlers will also have them or the IWA bookshop on line.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2016 9:22pm

I have just had a thought. if the hire company is Kate Boats then if their other base has a suitable unbooked boat at Stockton they might transfer you onto it. Then if you go south you will only face the three wide Calcutt locks, turn left for Braunston and left again onto the North Oxford canal towards Coventry. You will then have just three narrow locks at Hillmorton. If you get to the end of the NO there is a very shallow lock and you can turn right onto the Coventry canal (or left for Coventry - no locks) and maybe visit the Ashby canal (no locks).

phelix27
phelix27

Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 7:51am

Thanks very much for that Tony, thats a great idea. I have the Nicholsons guide no3 and noticed that whichever way we go we seem to be surrounded by locks. I did want to try the Ashby canal and if I can get a change with Kate's then that might be do'able. thanks again. John

phelix27
phelix27

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:56pm

Tony, a quick message to say many thanks for your advice. I've got the booking changed to Stockton and I'm planning on getting to and travelling up the Ashby canal. I'll now have only a few locks to navigate and so am very much looking forward to it. Thanks again John

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:34pm

That is good news. Lucky you asked and lucky it was Kate Boats. This is a good lesson for all first time hirers who have little experience. Please ask before making a final booking.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.26 seconds.