Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Janet_Peck
Janet_Peck

Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 10:13pm

Post Subject: compacting toilets

Has anyone fitted a compacting toilet e.g. Airhead, into a narrow boat and was it successful?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Jul 15, 2016 7:43am

Post Subject: compacting toilets

I am certain that a spell checker has done its worst, its composting toilets. I have not used one but from reports the newer models are far more successful on boats than the older ones. There were two major problems, one was the size of the units and the second was that the composting got messed up but the liquid waste. Newer models are smaller and keep the liquid and solid waste separate. This means you have to train your male guests to sit down. The liquid waste collects in a container at the front of the unit and requires regular disposal. This may or may not prove to be a problem. I also understand that you need two solid waste containers with space to store one while the contents "mature" prior to disposal. You also need to do a power audit to ensure any electrical requirements are capable of being met by the boats battery and charging system.. For example if one requires a constant 2 amps that is about 50 amp hours per day that in turn requires an extra 100Ah battery plus the recharge time. The two amps is an example, the actual consumption is likely to be different. Owners of modern units seem happy but I met someone recently who was trying to repair one that was suffering from crystal problems related to the liquid waste.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.99 seconds.