Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Moonfleet1
Moonfleet1

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:46pm

Post Subject: Battery Chargers

Hi Tony I am looking to buy a 3 stage battery charger to charge my 3 120Ahr domestic deep cycle batteries. Please can you advise the correct size. I am thinking 10% so around about a 40A charger. Is this a correct assumption? Many thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:08pm

That rather depends upon what you intend to do with it. If you are going to run it 24/7 on a shoreline than a much smaller one (say 10 amps) may be perfectly adequate and will be be kinder to the batteries. If you also want it to cover the demands of mains equipment that you may need a much larger one simply to ensure the inverter draws from the charger rather than from the batteries. If this is to run from a generator the you might need a higher output one to minimise the charge time but for most of the time it would be delivering far less than its rather output. When we were in Liverpool a couple of years ago I used an 8 amp charger and it more than kept 3 x 110 Ah batteries charged on a simple 12 volt boat. A 40 amp charger will do the job but you might be spending more than you need to if its for continuous shoreline use.

Moonfleet1
Moonfleet1

Posted: Tue Jul 19, 2016 5:59am

very many thanks for your reply. I use the boat around about every other weekend so it would only be a gradual top up rather than running the engine for a while if I plan on staying on the marina. So a smaller one as you say would do the trick Many thanks again. Regards Paul

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.29 seconds.