Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
barry3dove
barry3dove

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 9:22am

Post Subject: toilet

why when we use pump out toilet do we get an alwful smell come back up

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:58pm

The technical answer is because you have let the anaerobic breed at the expense of the aerobic ones. Both types break down the waste but the aerobic ones create far less smell. As you do not specify the type/model of toilet saying "come back up" makes me think it is probably a nice simple sump through. If you are using conventional blue it will kill the somewhat weaker aerobic bacteria so I would advise that you change to a biological holding tank treatment but you will need to give the tank a really good flush and then put us with a period of smell while the remaining blue is purged from the system and the aerobic bacteria gets established. Choose a treatment that says it contains bacteria and enzymes. You also need a flow of air over the fluent. Ideally a breather at each end of the tank with an i.d. of not less than 1" but the larger the better. If you have a macerator or vacuum toilet you may also have charcoal filter on the breather. When these are regularly changed they tray smells from the breather but tend to stop air reaching the tank. In summer you may well have to pump out every week but in the cooler months I find I can go for weeks between pump outs. It may help to put some yoghurt down the toilet when you first change from conventional blue to seed the bacteria. Some people swear by just adding yeast to the tank, others use sceptic tank treatment. Other additives people recommend are Biomagic, Odourloss and the one I prefer is by The New Blue Loo Company.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:30am

PS another problem that can occur is that the tank does not hold enough liquid to submerge the solids.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.55 seconds.