Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Sjb1956
Sjb1956

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:29am

Post Subject: Boat history?

Hi I am new to the forum and we have just purchased a 50 ft semi trad manufactured by Ferguson fabrications in 2001. BW no is 505842. Other than this I have no history of who made it or where. Does anyone know this boat builder? It was called But n Ben. Has a ford 4 cylinder engine. Any info would be very useful. Many thanks for your help. Steve.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:29pm

I have no personal knowledge of that company. A quick Google throws up three possibilities. One in Worksop, one in Abertillery, and one ship builder in Glasgow. Whilst I can not rule out the Glasgow one they seem to deal in things a little larger than narrowboats so I would tend to discount that one although they may have built a/some hull9s0 on speck to keep their skilled workforce employed at some time but I rather doubt it. Of the remaining two I think the Worksop one would be more likely but this could easily be a one off built by/for the the boss. There is also a question of who fitted it out, many so called boat builders are only fitters out using bought in hulls. As you can see this question is more complex that it might at first appear. I hope another reader can give you some definitive information but you may do well to ask the question on the Canal World web forum.

Sjb1956
Sjb1956

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 12:45pm

Thanks for that Tony. It has generally been located and based in or around Thorne area and so it could be the Worksop fabricator. However, the hull features and design and let's say finishing touches seem to indicate a well established and knowledgeable hull builder, but the interior is not great which tends not to suggest the one off theory. It has a semi trad or trad option rear cratch arrangement and sweeping up front and rear lines plus bow thrusters. A quality hull build and design. Thanks again for your help.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 10:04pm

I have had a look at the online database that lists most of the boats registered with the inland navigation authorities and it returns only four boats made by Ferguson, one of which is yours. The rest were much shorter and two are GRP so this tends to point to a one off.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.46 seconds.