Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
TrevorW1
TrevorW1

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:33pm

Post Subject: Invertor Overload

Hi Tony, We have a Sterling ProPower Q 1800W invertor that we accidentally overloaded by trying to boil a kettle when were weren't plugged into the shoreline. The problem is that it now shows 'overload' even when it isn't connected to anything. Is there a reset switch or process that we have to go through to get it to work again or have we damaged it? The instructions that came with it just say to reduce the load or buy a bigger one. I've emailed Sterling a couple of times with no success. Thanks Trevor Ward

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 5:00pm

I simply do not understand why companies ignore customers with problem products. I understand that most of Sterling's technical staff are very helpful when phoned so try that. I would need the circuit diagrams and such like to give you a definitive answer to your question because I do not have a Sterling inverter but I fear you may well have damaged it. However a lot of modern electronic equipment is microprocessor controlled so maybe the processor has got itself confused. It would be well worth disconnecting it from the 12V supply for a while so it resets itself when reconnected. I would hope that you have a large fuse on the inverter supply close to the batteries, If so disconnect it there but take great care not to short anything to any metal close by. If "rebooting" it does not clear the fault then it probably is ruined. However I noticed one vendor was selling what looked like a remote display and switch. If you have one like this make sure the remote does not have a small battery inside it. This is unlikely if wires connect the remote to the inverter.

TrevorW1
TrevorW1

Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:26am

Thanks Tony. I'll try disconnection first (yes, we do have a fuse near the batteries) and if that doesn't work I'll give them a ring. We do have the remote option but it isn't fitted as the unit is easily accessible.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.52 seconds.