Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
jamesw
jamesw

Posted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:21pm

Post Subject: beeping battery light

when engine is running on the control panel (izuzu) the battery warning light flashes on followed by a beep and a dip in revs on the counter but no dip in revs on the engine. Any ideas

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:39am

Once again I am faced with a problem where the fault has been described but no expanded information given. There has been a string of these and when I ask for more information all too often it is not provided. I feel like replying in a similar vein and saying its because the alternator shuts down for a very short time but that is not a lot of help. If this happens a very few times a day and at long intervals I would check the alternator drive belt for tension in case an electric fridge or large inverter starting up puts such a load on the alternator the pulley slips in the belt. What we are finding increasingly with boats fitted with solar charging is that in sunny conditions and with long cruising days the solar voltage rises enough to cause the alternator's regulator to keep on shutting down for split second. This causes the warning buzzer to beep, sometimes the warning lamp to flash and as the rev-counter is driven from the alternator the rev-counter could start to drop. In this case it tends to be at short time intervals and turning an electrical load (not just one LED light) should stop it for a while. This depends upon the load being applied to the alternator that is doing this. It will probably be the engine alternator if you have two. If it is neither of these things then as the rev-counter and warning lamp/buzzer are affected I would suspect an internal alternator fault is developing but check all the connections on the alternator are tight, especially the blade ones. If you have a twin alternator setup it is probably not worth taking the alternator off for testing at this time but wait and sere how things develop. If one does fail just connect both battery bank positives with a heavy jump lead (take care not to create short circuits) after you make the first start of the day and remove it whenever you stop the engine. That will ensure the remaining alternator charge both batteries.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:34am

An almost identical question appeared elsewhere about two days later but under a different name. Eventually the questioner told us he did not have any solar charging and later on said a boatyard had tested and reported âTheir opinion was the alternator is still charging the batteries well, and was also supplying good voltage to the instrument panel.â Upon further questioning he said that he had tested the voltage and found it was between 12.5 and 13 volts âwith presumably well charged batteriesâ. He also said the noise now only occurred on idle and between two and three times a second. I pointed out that 12.5 to 13 volts charge into a well charge battery is between 1 and 2 volts too low so as long as the batteries were fully charged and the engine was revving. This suggested there was a problem with the alternator unless the regulator was hunting to excess with fully charged batteries. Another contributor who is still actively working in the field suggested that a brush may be making intermittent contact. I agree that this should be the first thing checked. The whole saga was fairly typical in that information was given out in dribs and drabs making meaningful help difficult.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Aug 21, 2016 9:35am

An almost identical question appeared elsewhere about two days later but under a different name. Eventually the questioner told us he did not have any solar charging and later on said a boatyard had tested and reported âTheir opinion was the alternator is still charging the batteries well, and was also supplying good voltage to the instrument panel.â Upon further questioning he said that he had tested the voltage and found it was between 12.5 and 13 volts âwith presumably well charged batteriesâ. He also said the noise now only occurred on idle and between two and three times a second. I pointed out that 12.5 to 13 volts charge into a well charge battery is between 1 and 2 volts too low so as long as the batteries were fully charged and the engine was revving. This suggested there was a problem with the alternator unless the regulator was hunting to excess with fully charged batteries. Another contributor who is still actively working in the field suggested that a brush may be making intermittent contact. I agree that this should be the first thing checked. The whole saga was fairly typical in that information was given out in dribs and drabs making meaningful help difficult.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.31 seconds.