Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Turbo1948
Turbo1948

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 7:46pm

Post Subject: New paint work

Hi, I have just had my narrowboat re-painted and have been advised that I should polish it ASAP. However, someone else suggests that I leave it a month for it to harden before polishing. Could you please advise which is best as the cream roof gets a great deal of bird droppings? Many thanks, John

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 8:04pm

So what did the painter advise? If they did not then please ask them. If I say something different to the painter and the paint job fails, even for a different reason, then they have a "get out of jail free card". As long as you use plenty of water and a soft brush I can see no reason you should not wash the boat, daily if required to get rid of the droppings. Personally I would go with the let it harden for a while camp UNLESS a two pack paint was used. Single pack paint harden by solvent evaporation so do remain soft for a while. Two pack paint hardens chemically so should be hard enough for polishing within a day or two of application. Most people now recommend a polish using carbanubo wax but try to avid ones with silicon in because they might cause problems with touching up. Also be aware that some polishes contain a mild abrasive to clean the oxidisation form the paint surface. Although good for old and faded paintwork they are probably not so good for new soft paint.

Turbo1948
Turbo1948

Posted: Thu Sep 01, 2016 5:47pm

Many thanks, John

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.47 seconds.