Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Turbo1948
Turbo1948

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:53pm

Post Subject: Rear Doors

Can anyone please suggest the best way I can improve the look of my rear wooden doors?

Rear Doors
Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:09pm

I very much doubt that they will be able to from that photo. The Forum software makes it too small to see any detail. I suggest that you describe what is wrong and if you want me to take a look send the photo to Tony@TB-Training.co.uk. It would help if we know what they are made from (i.e. type of wood).

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:08pm

I have just received a photo of the doors and to be honest they do not look too bad but here is my reply. Thank you for the photo. To be honest I can not see much wrong with them but they may have developed ridges where they get rained on and rubbed. I am unsure if the four panels are plywood or solid wood. If they are plywood they may or may not be veneered. If they are not veneered they will probably have been stained to match the surrounding wood. The problem with modern veneered ply is that the veneer is very thin and it is all too easy to sand or scrape right through the veneer to the wood underneath and that would be difficult to hide by stain. I can not see any water staining on them so suspect sanding down to as finish as possible without removing the veneer and then applying several coats of varnish might be the easiest way. If you expose bare wood or veneer then thin the first coat with 10% white spirit. A professional may well use a scarper to scrape of the varnish and top layer of lighter wood to expose the original wood colour but the mouldings and panels would be difficult. Then they would need sanding to a smooth finish and several coats of varnish applied. If this were my boat I would be somewhat reluctant to attempt this in case the panels are veneered. If the are a scraper will almost certainly take the veneer off. The only other thing is to sand down smooth and paint with a very light brown or off cream colour.

Turbo1948
Turbo1948

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:11pm

Thank you again Tony. Regards, John

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sun Sep 25, 2016 2:22pm

One thing I should have mentioned is that the doors might have been scumbled. I home decoration that is known as grained. I could not see enough detail in the photos and to be honest I would want to look and feel the surfaces in real life. If they are varnished the grain may well have risen giving a slightly rough surface. If they have been grained what looks like the grain will be a darker paint. Graining is done by laying down a light coat of colour and then using a comb or feather adding a darker grain effect before varnishing them. If they have been scumbled then try sanding the varnish smooth and applying two or three new coats. Unless you are very arty I suspect a DIYer trying it for the first time without guidance may well make a worse job that of they left it alone. In that case I think I would revert to ordinary paint after a very thorough sanding.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.43 seconds.