Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
hooper_tim
hooper_tim

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:08pm

Post Subject: Chimney Height

Hi Tony, I'm having to replace the chimney for my Morso Squirrel. I'm thinking of reducing the height from 23" to 18" will this affect the draw of the stove much?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Sep 27, 2016 6:56pm

Post Subject: Chimney Height

I have no idea and suspect a lot depends upon if its single or double skinned. If its a double skinned chimney and you fill most of the void between the two wall leaves with expanding foam the inner chimney will remain hotter and so will draw a little better. It will also depend upon how clean any wind flow is around the chimney. The higher it is above the boat the less turbulence you would get as the wind flows over the boat itself. My Brunel 1A stove operates perfectly happily with an 18" or lower twin wall chimney but in blustery weather can puff a little smoke out of the vents now and again. I suppose that if you are going to spend most days cruising then an 18" chimney makes life easier but if you spend long periods tied up the taller one might draw better. I know that you did not ask but for others reading this topic the advantage of a twin wall chimney (or chimney with an inner liner) is that if the bottom of the inner lining is a little smaller in diameter than the flue itself and if it projects down into the flue a little it very much reduces the tarry deposits running over the roof an down the boat' side. Note - I am not discussing twin walled flues in this topic, just twin walled chimneys.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.44 seconds.