Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Hornblower
Hornblower

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:27pm

Post Subject: rope cutter on propshaft

Hi Tony, on some canals I had to go quite often into the "cellar" (weedhatch) to clear the prop. Recently I heard of rope cutters that can be installed on the propshaft to cut away anything that tries to get arround the prop. Would such rope cutter be suitable for Narrowboats? Of course you would have to be very carefull if you work through the weedhatch then. Regards.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 3:02pm

They are suitable and those that have them seem to swear by them but there is one caveat in that you need enough space between the prop and where the shaft comes out of the hull to get one on the shaft. I have some doubts as to how they would cope with bulky items like duvets and boat covers. I am certain they would not remove tyres that one can get around the prop so in those circumstance, as you say, extra care is required. I have been over most of the system and only occasionally get a fouled prop so unless you are boating in a very urban area I wonder if you either have a deep drafted boat or tend to try to drive the boat too fast for the water depth, especially when passing bridge holes.

Hornblower
Hornblower

Posted: Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:02pm

Hi again and thank you for your quick answer. Indeed in most of the canals I have no Problems with something around the prop. But have often travelled the BCN and I remember one summer when we first tried the northern part. The canal was full of weed and I had to stop every 20 minutes to clear the prop.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.28 seconds.