Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Chrissie60
Chrissie60

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:09pm

Post Subject: Rudder sizing

Hi. Our new 60' Narrowboat has quite a heavy tiller and could do with being more responsive. I'm wondering if I can increase the forward section of the rudder towards the prop in the hopes of a better balance on the tiller and more response in tight tuns. How close to the prop can the rudder be? Your opinion would be most welcome.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:39pm

Some of the working boats had about 2" while modern boats it can be nearer 12" and in some cases more. www.clementsengineering.co.uk/uploads/pdfs/TD08. pdf suggests a minimum of 15% of prop diameter. Be aware that adding to the balance (the bit in front of the rudder stock) may make the steering lighter but may also introduce vibrations through the tiller. It may also try to drag you to one side when you make a turn in ahead. It could become tiring to steer. However the only way you will know is by trying it.

Chrissie60
Chrissie60

Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:58am

Dear Tony. Many thanks for the info. Our boat does suffer with stern being dragged into the inside of corners, especially in shallow water (sadly frequently encountered). I'll try an experiment with a "bolt-on" extension forward of the stock next time she's out of the water. I'll try to let you know how she is. Regards. Rob

Rudder sizing

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.70 seconds.