Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
TORTUGA GUY
TORTUGA GUY

Posted: Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:14pm

Post Subject: HULL DIFFERENCES

HI. THERE IS 40FT NARROWBOAT THAT I AM THINKING OF BUYING, IT HAS EVERYTHING I AM LOOKING FOR BUT UNLIKE MOST OTHER BOATS IT HAS A DISPLACEMENT HULL, IT LEFT ME ASKING MYSELF IF I WOULD BE BETTER OFF WITH A FLAT HULL , CAN YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHAT I AM GETTING IN FOR , WHAT ARE THE DIFFERENCES ?, WOULD THIS TYPE OF HULL COST MORE TO MAINTAIN . PLEASE HELP, THANK YOU ALL

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:44am

First off to make sure that you know what it means all narrowboats have displacement hulls. This means that they are NOT designed to climb out of the water and skim along on their bow wave. I think that you mean this boat has a V bottomed hull. V bottomed hulls were very common on boats built by Springer Engineering and these tend to have been built with very thin hulls by today's standard. Maybe only 4mm compared with 10mm today. They are also getting old now so there must be a question about how deep any rust pits on the hull may be. If the pits are deep you may need to spend several thousand pounds having extensive hull work done on it like overplating or new sides and bottom. However the hull could just as well be perfectly serviceable. As you give no details about the boat I can not even guess. If it is V bottomed many yards charge extra when the boat is taken out for it's two to four year hull re-blacking. Maybe around the £100 to £150. My guess is that this is a cheap old boat and without paying for a survey you will have no idea about the hull condition so it could last years r it could sink within hours of you buying it. Regret ably hull surveys cost money and if the boat turns out to be worthless you would loose the cost of the survey but it may save you wasting all your money.

TORTUGA GUY
TORTUGA GUY

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:30am

thank you for your swift reply, the add on apollo quack says it was built by Stenson marina derby, make Stenson, it's actually a 39ft built in 1999, i always thought that only Springer built V hulls, so should i assume that even though it says Displacement hull it's actually flat ?, i have had no reply from the owner. very puzzled now.

TORTUGA GUY
TORTUGA GUY

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:38am

it also says Steel work plating: 10mm, 6mm, 4mm,

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:03pm

With that steel specification I expect it is an ordinary flat bottomed narrowboat and the "displacement" is just window dressing to make the vendor sound knowledgable, after all it is a dismantlement hull - what did they tell you at the other place?

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:05pm

Autocorrect has struck - dismantlement = displacement

TORTUGA GUY
TORTUGA GUY

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:05pm

ive had it confirmed it is a flat hull, that's great , thank you for your help and knowledge, i also checked out the builders and they seem to be reputable so thats all good, thank you very much.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.33 seconds.