Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
TORTUGA GUY
TORTUGA GUY

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 5:50pm

Post Subject: moving a stove

Hello again everyone, the used 39ft semi trad that i am thinking of buying has the wood burning stove by the bow doors, i am worried that someone or myself may fall on it, BSS recommends it not to be there, is it a very complicated operation ?, is it common to re-position stoves ? , what happens to the hole left in the roof ?, and is it an expensive to have a qualified technician to do it for me ?, sorry for my ignorance, thank you all.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:42pm

If this is what we call a dry stove and you have a suitable alternative position for it then it will not be complicated to move. If it also heats radiators then it will be. I would say it is rarer to reposition stoves, especially if you have not lived with it and you are only doing it in response to a recommendation. Just inside the font doors to one side is a a very popular position. There are very few people with HETAS qualifications working on the canals but probably a lot of people who are experienced in this area - plus a lot who are not. Moving a stove is not simple because the new location will need flammable material stripping out, thermal insulation and heat resistant board fitting around the stove and if you are going to follow the HETAS recommendations with certain stoves it might mean cutting a hole ion the floor and casting a thick concrete heart. The hole left in the roof will need making good as will the hole in the interior ceiling lining. If you do not want it to look a bodge I fear it will involve welding AND repainting some or all of the roof. I suspect it will be expensive, especially if you start following the British Standard recommendations that are not a BSS requirement.

TORTUGA GUY
TORTUGA GUY

Posted: Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:31pm

I think it may be too dear a job , so may install some kind of hand rail or simply hold back and choose another boat, thanks again for your expertise

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.58 seconds.