Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Ray
Ray

Posted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:20pm

Post Subject: Central Heating Balancing

Hi Tony, The central Heating article in Decembers Issue was very timely for me, I'm planning on improving my system. The one aspect not covered was how to balance the heating system. My improved system will have 4 radiators and a horizontal calorifier. One branch from the Mikuni boiler will supply 3 main starboard side radiators and a second branch will supply the calorifier and a small radiator in the shower/toilet "room". Can you advise me on how to balance the system effectively and what equipment is needed for the best results. As I've said previously I always enjoy reading your technical tips, many of which have been put into use! My thanks and regards to you, Ray Fairwood, nb Holly's Wander.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:30am

As I am not a heating engineer I think it best to point you to a suitable website - https://www.homebuilding.co.uk/how-to-balance-ra diators/ Because of the type of boiler yo have it is important that you do not fit any thermostatic radiator valves. If you do the boiler is likely to run for long periods at reduced output and that leads to carbon build up inside. It is also important that the calorifier is fitted with the equivalent of a lock shield valve on its hot inlet so you can adjust the flow through it to avoid it in effect short circuiting the radiators. When balancing treat it as another radiator. I think the heating engineers I have seen balancing existing systems in houses tend to just use their hands to *replaced* the radiator outlet temperature. One chap just went around the system and made sure all the radiators were getting hot so I suspect it may not be a particularly critical task..

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:34am

Here is another link http://www.lovekin.net/radiator-balancing.html This one is different so it can't be that critical as long as all the radiators get hot and the calorifier outlet pipe gets warm with a cold calorifier. The calorifier outlet will get hot once it has heated up.

Ray
Ray

Posted: Thu Nov 24, 2016 12:37pm

Hi Tony, Two posts for the price of one! Many thanks for the pointers and the advice re the calorifier. Thanks again, Ray

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.