Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
angela
angela

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:09pm

Post Subject: Wood Burning stove (Multi fuel)

Besides size is there any difference between buying a domestic stove or one which specifies it is for narrowboats.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:44pm

Post Subject: Wood Burning stove (Multi fuel)

I am not aware of anyone specifically marketing their stoves as narrow boat stoves, but some are marketed as for boats in general. There are unresolved questions about the installation of stoves in narrow boats so manufacturers (as opposed to suppliers) tend to be a bit wary of making that sort of claim. The size is important because narrow boats are often fairly well insulated and also have a small internal volume so fitting an overlarge stove wastes fuel and overheats the boaters. It is common to see ice on the canal but boats with the back doors open and the boaters in shirt sleeves inside. I am convinced that the majority of readily available "narrow boat" stoves are just small domestic ones that have earned a reputation among boaters. You do need to decide if you want a cast stove or one welded up from boiler plate. Cast ones can crack, especially if they are allowed to heat up too quickly, but welded ones may distort if allowed to overheat. Finally please take care with any hearth and surround. Tiles over any form of wood is dangerous. Use tiles over a fireproof board with either thermal insulation or an air-gap behind it. I used tiles over a large paving slab for my hearth. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.24 seconds.