Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
fionatr
fionatr

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:43am

Post Subject: Yanmar engine

I have a 39' boat and it is powered by a yanmar engine. I am thinking of going continuous cruising in a few years and just wanted to know if the engine would be suitable for this work, including rivers. I am asking as the boatyard where I get it serviced has occasionally been worried about getting parts to fit it.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:35am

Post Subject: Yanmar engine

I am afraid that the question as posed is not answerable. As far as rivers are concerned an ability to read, understand and use water flows and currents plus knowing when to stay tied up is probably far more important than the engine power. Yanmar make a whole range of engines so I can not comment on the engines suitability for your boat.I would also point out that E P Barrus of Bicester marinise Yanmar engines and sell them under the Shire brand. Service parts should be readily available from online sources or even a local motor factors if you have a Yanmar engine and model number. Apart from service parts like filters I can not see what else they would need so I do not understand the difficulty in getting parts. However this comes back to exactly what engine you have. If it rare in the UK then maybe it is difficult to get parts - more information needed I am afraid. If you are worried why not join River Canal Rescue Ltd and let the deal with breakdowns and parts. On some grades of membership they even offer a replacement parts allowance and a once a year service. As long as the engine is running well and has at least three cylinders I suspect it will be OK.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.