Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
favours
favours

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 10:15am

Post Subject: Water tank

Tony, I have winterised my boat, drained calorifier and pipes left taps open etc... but have realised that the water tank is 3/4+ full, do you think I should be concerned as due to family illness I am not sure when I can get back to the boat.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 12:28pm

To a degree it depends where the plumbing runs and what the pipes are made from If they are plastic then they are far less likely to split if the freeze than copper. If they are low down in the boat, well below the waterline and close to the metal hull they will be less likely to freeze than pipes higher up because the water beneath the ice in canals etc. is warmer and that warmth will travel through the hull into the boat. The potential problem with plastic plumbing is if we get a really cold spell and the water in the pipes freeze it can push the connections apart so when it thaws you will end up with most of the water remaining in the tank over the floor etc. However as you have left the taps open hopefully this will allow the freezing water to expand without causing damage. Personally I allow the water pump to run (with engine charging) until only air exits from the taps, I then remove the shower mixer in case it freezes inside, and leave it at that. If anything did split/push apart only the residual water in the pipes would leak out. If I wanted to leave water in the tank then I would make sure there was an air gap above the water in the tank to allow for expansion but I would also turn the main valve off to prevent water in the tank draining via a damaged pipe or union. You do not identify where abouts in the country your boat is located so I can not look up any weather data but I suspect that if it is in the Midlands or south there will not be a problem as it is but this is far from a guarantee.

favours
favours

Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2016 2:03pm

Tony, Thanks. The pipe work is plastic and runs in the main close to or below the waterline. Valves to tank have been closed off and there will be an air gap as after filling the tank we used about 1 days worth of water. I have also removed the mixer valve, the boat has been winterised this way for several years, other than usually only having 1/2 tank or less of water. The boat is moored at Swanley Bridge Marina, Cheshire.

Most Read

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.35 seconds.