Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
sleepy
sleepy

Posted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 8:55pm

Post Subject: gearbox for HR2

I have recently bought a HR2 which i am converting for use on a 58ft canal boat.Could you please advise me on a suitable 2 to 1 gearbox for this, i dont mind a hydraulic gearbox as these seem cheaper. Thanks.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:55am

Post Subject: gearbox for HR2

Dear Clair It seems this engine is air cooled and rated at a bit under 30bhp so nearly any hydraulic box will probably do the job. It looks as if they may originally have been fitted with the Lister's own mechanical box or a Velvetdrive hydraulic box, but I think these may be difficult to get hold of so one of the PRMs would do the job PROVIDING you can obtain the various adaptors required to fit it to the engine. I do not think this is as straight forward as one might imagine, especially if its an industrial engine. I would advise you to talk to Marine Engine Services at Uxbridge to discuss what you need and how much it would cost. You also have to consider the the coupling height on the new box relative to the engine beds. Both the original boxes were "straight through" but the PRM couplings are offset,as are most modern boxes. Tony Brooks

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.23 seconds.