Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
superian
superian

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:15pm

Post Subject: Headliner removal

Hi, I have a grp boat that has a type of felt material glued to the inside roof. What is the best way to remove this as it doesn't seem to want to come off using a scraper and I am concerned about using solvents as it is in an enclosed space and I also don't want to damage the fibre glass. Any advice will be much appreciated. Many thanks in advance. Ian.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:13pm

Post Subject: Headliner removal

Glued in fabric type headlinings normally have some form of soft or foam backing. The way we used to get them off in the yard was to simply pull them down and then use sharp scrapers or chisels to remove the remaining foam and any "lumps" of glue that would how through the new headlining. You will find that the underside of the deckhead (roof) is far from smooth because the gel coat is on the outside, you will still be able to see and feel the glass mat strands. Because of the all but exposed glass strands I would avoid any process like sanding. I agree that solvents are probably not a good idea unless you have the use of an air fed mask.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat regular newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.54 seconds.