Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
MarchHare1
MarchHare1

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 6:45pm

Post Subject: Marine Ply Floor fitted

Hi, would like to replace the floor of 32 ft narrowboat with marine ply. Boat is near Henley. Anyone have an idea how much it would cost to get it done. Dont trust myself to do a job like that yet....Thanks

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:14pm

Proper marine ply as opposed to Far Eastern or WPB hardwood ply costs about £270 for an 18mm x 2500mm x 1200mm sheet. See http://www.robbins.co.uk/marine/prices.asp. so the answer is going to an awful lot, just for the ply. I suspect Far Eastern ply would be perfectly adequate as long as you treat both sides and all edges. That can be obtained from local merchants. I think there is one on the Reading Road. This job may be complicated because most narrow boats have the floor put down and the all the bulkheads and fixed furniture built on top. Unless the whole boat is to be stripped back to a bare hull I think each area will have to be cut out and new floor areas cut to fit and put back down, probably with extra work to support the edges and any bulkheads/furniture that are not directly above a bearer. If the floor is in a poor state then I must ask about the probably condition of timber floor bearers underneath. They may need renewing once access is gained. This could turn out to be very expensive, possibly several thousands, and the full cost may not be known until the job is started. I think that you need to talk to some local yards like Hobbs or Wootons but bear in mind that you will be paying Thames prices. I suspect a fair bit could be saved by taking the boat to the Braunston area or even further north. Sorry not to give you a direct answer. I hope some readers will be along to give you a better idea.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:52am

Having given this further thought and in view of the likely problems with replacing the whole floor in a narrowboat I wonder if the whole floor needs replacing or if just some vulnerable parts like in the loo or galley could be cut out and replaced. This would be far easier, especially now we have the small hand held, adjustable depth of cut circular saws. If the original poster thinks this might answer I am happy to describe how to tackle the job.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.28 seconds.