Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Robyn1234...
Robyn1234...

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:57pm

Post Subject: Cloudy sink water

Hi All, Recently moved onto a narrow boat and the water pouring into the sink has become cloudy / greyish. Is this safe to use if boiled? Any ideas why this should be the case as before it was quite clear. Many thanks, Peter

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 3:39pm

First we need to see if its fine air bubbles or something else. Fill a tumbler and let it stand. If you see it clear from the bottom up its air but if it tends to clear from the top down its and leaves a deposit in the glass its something else. If it stays grey then it is likely to be biological or something that has come in with the water r through the tank breather. If it is air it means the pump is sucking air into the system. Make sure the tank is full and if so check the main stop valve between tank and pump is fully turned on. Also check the strainer that should be on the tank side of the pump is clear and that there are no damp patches around the pump. Next we need to know hat sort of water tank you have on the boat so we can decide how to proceed. If its a tank that uses the hull and bulkhead as part of its structure you should see a large screwed down cover in the front well deck. I would take this off and manually clean the tank. The inner surfaces may well need de-rusting, treating and coating with a product suitable for a potable water tank. If it is a plastic or stainless steel tank it probably has no access so you will need to pump all the water out, refill with clean water and repeat a few times. I would then treat the tank with either sufficient water tank sterilizing liquid, Milton, Boots Baby Bottle sterilizer, sodium metasulphate (if you are a home brewer), beer line cleaner or a small bottle of cheap thin bleach. Pour into tank, fill up, run taps until you can smell/taste the product in the water. Then leave it to stand overnight but if its a stainless steel tank only let it stand an hour or so. Pump out, fill with fresh water, repeat and wait for the taint to go away. Without having the water tested there is no way of knowing what this is and it may even have been in the last lot of water you refilled with.

Tony-B...
Tony-B...

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 7:56am

Overnight thought. Some mild steel potable water tanks are cement washed to protect them from rusting. If yours is like this and you have whacked the bow on something hard it could be caused by the cement wash breaking up. If this is the case, but you will only know by taking the inspection hatch off, then apart form the water being rather alkaline it would be safe to use.

Robyn1234...
Robyn1234...

Posted: Thu Mar 09, 2017 11:23am

Hi Tony, Many thanks for your prompt reply and suggestions. The glass did not clear when I took a sample however I have filled the tank and emptied it twice and the water now is nearly clear. I think I may have let the level go to low and maybe picked up some 'sludge' from the bottom of the tank. I will use some sterliser and empty and refill a couple of times and hopefully that will do the trick. Again, many thanks from a very novice boat owner. Regards, Peter

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.