Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
Poppy28
Poppy28

Posted: Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:14pm

Post Subject: Engines

Hello, I am wondering if anyone knows how to set up a Perkins prima or Volvo md22 engine up for keel hauling with dry exhaust? I also need to find one of these engines! Thanks, Poppy

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 8:26am

I assume that you have been autocorrected and that you really mean "Keel Cooling". As this is Canal Boat magazine I will also assume that this is for a narrowboat so it is really skin tank cooling, not keel cooling. If I am wrong plaese come back or better still email me at Tony@tb-training.co.uk because emails allow paragraphs.This is rather complicated to explain in text, especially as you have two options and this forum software does not allow paragraph breaks. In all cases you need to ensure the skin tank is large enough and properly baffled. You also need to have an adaptor made up that allows a dry exhaust system to bolt onto the exhaust manifold where at present there should be an exhaust mixing elbow. OPTION 1 - run the raw water hose that would have run to the exhaust mixing elbow instead to the top/hot inlet on the skin tank. T a hose to a large header tank into this pipe run. Run another hose from the skin tank outlet to any gearbox oil cooler or the inlet of the raw water pump as appropriate. OPTION 2 - Remove the thinner raw water hoses etc and the raw water pump and blank the pump's mounting hole. An alternative is to remove the hoses and the raw water impeller. Blank the raw water inlets to the exhaust manifold/heat exchanger. You can remove the heat exchanger core in you wish as well. Run a larger hose from the main outlet on the heat exchanger to the skin tank inlet. Run another similar hose from the skin tank outlet to the main cooling water inlet on the engine inlet, usually connected to the engine water pump. If there is a gearbox oil cooler the is the hose that you fit it into.You may well have to T a hose to an expansion tank into one of these hoses but it all depends upon capacity of the skin tank. Remember all systems need antifreeze in them. I have no idea why you want one of these engines. I think they use a cam belt and that is not best practice for a boat. It also means regular belt changes and if you get that wrong you wreck the engine. In my view even a decent BMC 1.5 would be a more reliable engine. I have no idea where you can get one apart from Apollo Duck website, Boats and Outboards (if it is still published), the listings in the usual magazines and Towpath Telegraph. The notes and illustrations on my website (tb-training.co.uk) may help.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 12:46pm

I have been pondering your post and now wonder if you are thinking about converting a car engine. If you are you will need to buy various parts for marine use.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 43.  Total Objects: 162.  Total Unserialized: 3. Total Runtime: 0.57 seconds.