Forums » Ask a Question

Use this forum to post your questions to our experts – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then scroll down to the bottom of this page and click the blue Post Thread words

If you can help answer the question, feel free to post a reply – you need to be logged on to do it (you can register here ), then hit the reply button on the thread.

To go back to the experts page click here>>

AuthorMessage
TORTUGA GUY
TORTUGA GUY

Posted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:25pm

Post Subject: hallmark baseplate

hello experts, i have just come back from the west midlands to see a few brokers as i am still looking for the right used 38-42ft narrowboat, i came across a hallmark boat built in 2000, the brokerage had no idea of the baseplate and rest of hull specs, my guess is that it would most likely be a 8mm or 10mm baseplate and 6mm sides judging by the year it was built, it was priced at £23.500 and must say needed a bit of work cosmetically, it was also fitted with a vetus engine, hp ??. but wondered what your thoughts were, thank you all for your time. happy cruising.

Tony-B
Tony-B

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:48am

I seem to recall Hallmark as a distinctly budget boat fitter and an internet search confirms this. The report I read suggested that the hulls were by Floating Homes, another budget outfit in my opinion. It also suggested that their hulls were 6/4/2 so if this is correct that boat seem vastly overpriced. That is a 6mm baseplate, 4mm hull sides, and a 2mm roof. If you go ahead PLEASE get a full hull survey. Remember that you are likely to be far better served buy an older boat from a reputable hull builder than a more modern boat by a budget builder. If what I found is correct I would comment "no wonder the broker had amnesias about the hull specs".

TORTUGA GUY
TORTUGA GUY

Posted: Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:44am

thank you very much for the advice. as the months go by saving i may well have one built. this second hand lark is hard work !. thanks again.

bennyboat
bennyboat

Posted: Fri Dec 21, 2018 11:37am

Unfortunately some of this info is incorrect, other than 6,5,3 steel spec was the budget range, that part is correct.

Most Read

Newsletter Sign Up

Canal Boat monthly newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Cache: Disabled for this object  Total Queries: 44.  Total Objects: 163.  Total Unserialized: 4. Total Runtime: 0.30 seconds.